Thursday, August 16, 2012


Interview with Les Stillman on the subject of writing groups













What writing group/s do you belong to? 
Wordsmiths of Melton.

What is the structure of this writing group?
A critiquing group, to assist us in improving our writing skills.

Is this writing group associated with a state or national organisation?
No, it is an independent group.

Does this group have affiliations with peak writing associated bodies?
No, it is an independent group.

How many members does this writing group have?
There are eight members at the moment

Does the writing group have a clearly defined goal in writing?
Yes, it does.

Are there any critiquing guidelines to follow?
Yes, there are clearly defined guidelines which we adhere to at most times.

Are there any guidelines for people whose work is being critiqued to follow?
Yes, there are a number of guidelines, aimed at the writer being critiqued, in an effort to assist them in understanding that they are being helped not attacked.

Does the group have set guidelines for behaviour, and a process to remove members who are disruptive to the smooth running of the group?
It does, but I have not been in the group long enough to have seen it be used.

Does everybody contribute to each meeting, or do you only hear from the same few people?
In my experience of the group, all members contribute to the best of their abilities.

How long have you been a member of this writing group?
Approximately five months

What is your role within this group?
A team player – I hope.

What are the benefits to you from attending a writing group?
Immeasurable assistance to my fledgling writing efforts.

Why be in a writing group?
To gain and give support.

What do you look for in a writing group?
Friendship and assistance in my endeavours as a writer. And hopefully, I can give back as much as I receive.

Does your writing group give peer critique or general comment?
Both.

What is the focus of your writing group – writing or poetry?
Both, although I have little input with the poetry.

Can the two be successfully combined in terms of critiquing?
Of course. Even though I am of little benefit to the poets in the group, there are others who are more than qualified to assist in this area.

Is there anything you would like from your writing group that is missing at the moment?
No. I am more than happy.

Have you belonged to any other writing groups?
No, I am a fledgling writer, taking my first stumbling steps.

Have you had a negative experience in a writing group?
No. Not after I found a place to stuff my ego.

Do you have any advice for someone thinking of joining a writing group?
Yes. Leave your ego in the closet. Listen to all advice and watch your writing improve.

Is there anything you would like to add?
No.


Thank you, Les, for participating


1 comment:

For some reason I'm yet to fathom I'm unable to reply to comments left by others so thank you for dropping by and taking the time to read and comment. Merlene