Sunday, March 10, 2013

Day Nine - Foursquare



Foursquare

I hadn’t heard of this one either. I did have a look and couldn’t see it as something I would use so didn’t bother signing up. It could be I don’t understand what its capacity for memorising my movements are i.e.

Show me places ...
I haven't been toI have been to before
My friends have been toWith Foursquare specials

Does this mean there is a central memory somewhere that records this information? I’m wary of anything that hints of surveillance or has the capacity to encroach on privacy. There are times when, for one reason or another, I simply don’t want to be found – to blend with the faceless and be anonymous in a place of my choice – and there are certainly times I don’t want to remember where I’ve been. 

When I do want to publicise an event I tend to use other methods, print invitations, flyers, email, Facebook and other media On the plus side, it does have great maps and this could be useful in the absence of a GPS – or a print copy street directory. This works for me.

I have the strongest feeling I have misunderstood this challenge, which is probably all the more reason to leave it be.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think you misunderstood at all, Merlene! FourSquare knocked me for a loop, also. I don't want to be haunted by angry people who don't agree with the things I've written. Oh well, one thing I won't be using. Looks like there are a lot of us :) hehe WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - beside no one really wants to know the really exciting places I go. Oh look it's another gym LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete

For some reason I'm yet to fathom I'm unable to reply to comments left by others so thank you for dropping by and taking the time to read and comment. Merlene