Thursday, October 1, 2015

Day 18 Author Blog Challenge

If there were one song that captured the meaning, spirit, message, energy, and or substance of your book, what would it be? How can you use that song or piece of music to market your book or enhance your readers’ experience with your book?


This writing prompt doesn’t take a lot of thinking about, which is probably just as well in the middle of school holidays with two small visitors spending a few days with us. In 2008 I was invited to take part in a writer's event, reading from my book, The Little Mongrel – free to a good home. A local duo, The Songbirds, were part of the presentation and they asked me to nominate a song that best defined the story, which they’d use to introduce my appearance. I thought about this and kept coming back to a song that had been significant to me during my time in an institution. It was an austere place, where music from the radio was played through speakers in the ceiling at the discretion of staff. A place stripped of all comfort, including seats, and I spent my days sitting on the floor, back against the wall, willing my childhood to pass quickly so I could begin the process of living. It was against this backdrop I first heard Frankie Valli and The Four Season singing, Big girls Don't Cry.


This had to be my choice for the day. It fitted as no other would and the girls were happy to run with it, adding pink feather boas for us all to wear for the occasion.

The Songbirds

Relax

TASMANIAN LIVING WRITERS' WEEK EVENT 

Today, 1.30pm 

Sharman's Winery 

175 Glenwood Rd, 

Relbia 

Free 

Relax the body and soul at an afternoon of literature, wine and music at Sharman's Winery. Buy a glass of Sharman's award-winning wine to sip as you listen to local authors Dr Frank Madill, Loretta McCarthy and Merlene Fawdry read from their latest books. The music will be provided by Songbirds and Chantelle Hemelaar.



This song captured the essence of the book where there was an underlying message of not showing feelings as a tool of survival. In a way it became something of an anthem to me, a rousing reminder to stay tough to the very end.

I wouldn't be able to use this song to market the book without first gaining copyright approval, a long and slow process that could also prove expensive in terms of royalties etc.






 







2 comments:

  1. That song resonates with me to this day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep I think it was a favourite of most of our generation. Nice choice Merlene

    ReplyDelete

For some reason I'm yet to fathom I'm unable to reply to comments left by others so thank you for dropping by and taking the time to read and comment. Merlene